Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mammoth Adventure Day 15

Sadly, we go home tomorrow. Took Mark and Jake to one last ski class, Daddy got one last day on the slopes, Eric had fun (most of the time) hanging out with Mommy, while Mommy stood AMAZED at her sons' ability.
I have always known I was going to be a "baseball mom" or "soccer mom" but never have I imagined that I'd be a "ski mom". Apparently, I am. Mark and Jake were cruising on the slopes today, and I mean cruising at high speeds!!! They each went down the slopes with their instructors about 15-20 times, then another, maybe 10 with Daddy afterwards. We heard such comments like: "I've never seen someone this young (jake) ski this well!", "within a few years, they're not going to need us (meaning the instructors), I hope you get good insurance because they'll be stunt skiing in no time!". Jake was lovingly referred to by the instructors as "jake the snake", and mark won his instructors heart when he showed up bearing gifts! He had stayed up at night drawing pictures for his ski teacher. HA! I've been proud of my boys before. They amaze me every day with the things they can do and the love they show (some of the time) to each other. But as I was walking back to the base of the hill, pushing Eric in the stroller, after taking a small "get warm and let Eric run around" break, I saw this tiny figure wearing a white helmet SPEED down the hill with an instructor trailing behind not needing to offer ANY assistance, and I said "now that canNOT be MY white helmet!!!" and sure enough, it was Jake. Followed by Mark a few minutes later, beaming as he speeds down the hill like he was born with skis on his feet. I think that was the proudest I've ever felt in my sons physical abilities.
Neil was on the same slope some of the time and was taking pictures and videos and giving me updates at the bottom. I was told that Mark likes to go through Whooly's Wood and he also goes on the "jump bumps" - pretty much exactly what they sound like.
After class we took a lunch break by taking the Gondola up to the top of the mountain, then watched Daddy ski down. By then the boys were rested enough to go down a bunch more times with Daddy before calling it a day.







Evidence that I was here!!




mark on ski lift

Riding the Gondola



Mark is on the right


Daddy waving to us in the Gondola


Mark drew the "Mammoth House"


"I love to ski wef my ski teacher"
need I say more?


Jake Skiing


Mark Skiing


Mark Skiing the Jump Bumps


1 comment:

Laurie said...

Looks like a blast!